Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WMS: Math/Halloween Update

Dear Families,

It's Wednesday and it's Halloween. For anyone celebrating the day, I wish you much fun and a safe evening!

Repaired my Email Archive!
  • This year I tried switching over to a new service for providing you an archive of my emails; but it wasn't working reliably. Last night I switched back to my old blog service (blogger.com) and set it up to function as an email archive. Now whenever I send out updates about my classes, the email is also posted to a blog so that you have another spot to look for things that had been sent out in the past and find resources that I might have shared.
  • To find this archive, go to http://www.mrmacnevin.com and select Mr. Mac's Blog on the left hand side.

News of Math Present
  • I am assigning no homework tonight (Wednesday night) because we are inbetween topics and books right now and because I know people will be pretty busy tonight. But students are still expected to review or revise today's math review so that they can be prepared to show their stuff on Friday!
  • For math reviews, I am now making them skill-specific. This week we are working on adding fractions and mixed numbers.
  • Yesterday we took a unit test on fractions, decimals and percents. Students took longer to complete than I'd anticipated, so today we corrected the test. I hope to mark and return them by Friday so that students can reflect on it in class.
New of Math Future
  • In math the next place we are headed is strengthening skills for adding and subtracting of fractions and mixed numbers; and starting to get into multiplication and division of fractions.
  • Multiplying and dividing of fractions are interesting because they are so easy to do and the algorithm is so easy to learn, but understanding conceptually what is happening takes more doing. So when we get there we won't be jumping right into the algorithm, but will instead be going back to review arrays with the kids and using that model to build the steps to the algorithm. You can expect to hear a lot more about that over the next 2-3 weeks.

Have a great Wednesday evening,

Brian MacNevin

No comments:

Post a Comment