Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WMS: Math/Science Udpate

Dear Families,

Well, tomorrow is international Pi day! We'll review a little about pi and maybe do something craftsy with pi. But we'll also have a practice quiz tomorrow because on Friday we're having a quiz!

Friday's Quiz:
The quiz on Friday will cover these learning targets. The links I'm sending you are for the practice problems for kids to work on tonight and tomorrow night. They include answers!
  • LT 3: I can find the area of a circle.[link]
  • LT 4: I can find the area and perimeter of compound shapes that have circular parts in them.[link]

Science Essay:
Wow! I have been so impressed. After studying about friction, I asked students to write an expository essay to help them bring all their ideas together about friction. I have never asked students to write such an essay in science before, so I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. But I have been floored with their comfort at writing an essay of this nature. We are still drafting. Tomorrow students will turn in their rough drafts and I'll have a look over. Then they'll have some time to get peer feedback before revising. Our final copies will be turned in next week after I give them some more time to revise.

Warm regards,

Brian MacNevin


No comments:

Post a Comment