Thursday, April 18, 2013

Science Update: Rube Goldberg machines!

Dear Families,

I just wanted to let you know that today in science we spent some time trying to apply our understandings of energy, motion, and forces. We watched part of a video from a German artist called "The Way Things Go" (Der Lauf der Dinge). You can watch it here: [link]. And we watched a video that is supposed to be a continuous-shot Rube Goldberg contraption in the OK GO music video "This Too Shall Pass" [link].

I asked students to try and notice two things:
  1. Where is friction being used to an advantage (so it's not just something that gets in the way).
  2. Every time something starts to move, it has received some energy ("motion" or kinetic energy). So I asked students to think about where the energy came from.
It was a fun way to think about energy and forces and might be interesting to talk about with your child to try and extend what they are seeing in the classroom out of the classroom.

Afterwards, students shared with me about a Red Bull commercial that I'd never seen [link]. And that reminded me of a Honda commercial they'd never seen [link]. Then I found this one that is done in Minecraft [link]!

So now it's emailed, blogged, shared, and we can all watch Rube Goldberg-like machines all night! :)

Warm Regards,

Brian MacNevin

No comments:

Post a Comment