Monday, November 26, 2012

WMS: Dividing fractions

Dear Families,

Welcome back from Thanksgiving break! I was a long and short weekend all at the same time. I really noticed today that some of my students were a little rusty with adding and subtracting fractions; but multiplying fractions didn't seem to cause anyone any trouble

Today we started looking at dividing fractions. We use a lot of food when we talk about fractions. I think it's because we are so used to dividing and sharing food.

We looked at an example involving dividing blocks of cheese to make pizzas. If you have 9 blocks of cheese and it takes 1/3 of a block to make a pizza, then how many pizzas can you make?

Using diagrams of cheese blocks, we figured out you could make 27 pizzas. We did the same thing with some different fractions of a block for each pizza. And then I had some students start offering a pattern they thought they saw: it turns out it's the same pattern involved in the "algorithm" of dividing fractions. But the kids had a different way of describing it. I have made a short video to show you the kind of thing we worked on today:


Remember that I try really hard to have homework posted on my calendar online and that all of these messages are archived. You can reach the calendar and the email archive at http://www.mrmacnevin.com.

Thank you!

Brian MacNevin


No comments:

Post a Comment