Friday, November 9, 2012

WMS: Math Update - Unit Tests sent home today

Dear Families,

Unit Tests Returned Today
  • I just wanted to touch base at the end of the week here. I returned the Bits and Pieces Unit Tests today to my students and they were asked to write a reflection letter to me and you. This letter is not due until next Wednesday. But it's a little bit different from the letters on the quizzes. The Unit Test reassessed the same learning targets that were on the quizzes, so it's kind of an automatic re-test to see if students have retained or improved their skills.

The Reflection Letter
  • On this letter, I am asking students to compare how they did on each learning target in a quiz to how they did on the learning target on the unit test. Some students told me they had lost their quizzes and their progress reports (I'd told them they should keep them safe for exactly this reason, but stuff happens). So if they need their quiz scores again, they can come to me on their own time to get another progress report printed.

Standards-Based Grading Question From A Student Today
  • I had one student ask me today, "how do I figure out if I have an A or a B on the test? Do I just add them up?" I had to reply that I had no idea. It was a strange response to give, so I explained a little more along these lines:
  • In order to create "percentage-based" tests, you have to create all kinds of "points." You have to offer enough of them so that anyone who misses 1 or 2 problems doesn't end up with a "D" for it. So you create a longer quiz that includes lots of little things to earn points over. Some of it is meaningful, and some of it isn't.
  • But the quizzes and tests we are using aren't set up that way. Instead, they offer students some choice opportunities to demonstrate at-grade level proficiency, above-grade-level proficiency, or even below-grade level proficiency. I don't need lots and lots of problems for a student to show me what they can do. How the student answers these choice questions helps me determine if they are demonstrating proficiency (3), demonstrating above grade level understanding or proficiency (4), or showing me that they still need some practice or instruction (2 and 1).
  • Standards-based grading is a really different way of approaching things. But I think my student "get it" when they ask about retaking a quiz and I ask them which part!? You can see the relief on their faces when they realize there's no point in retesting something they're already proficient at! :) What a chance to focus and practice a specific idea.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! 

Sincerely,


Brian MacNevin


No comments:

Post a Comment