Monday, February 25, 2013

The week ahead includes an author visit on Tuesday

Dear Families,

I hope you had a restful weekend. For the coming week, I wanted to let you know about a few goings-on:

Author Visit on Tuesday
This Tuesday, author Kirby Larson will be visiting our school to speak with students. Village Books will be selling copies of his books here at school. Please find a link to the flyer about purchasing his books here: [link].

Math Quiz on Wednesday: WRITE THOSE FORMULAS OUT!
This week in Math we will have a leveled practice day on Monday, a practice quiz on Tuesday, and a quiz on Wednesday all around calculating the circumference of a circle using diameter or calculating the diameter of a circle using circumference. It will also include finding the length of arcs that are 1/4 or 1/2 of a circle long. I have been very dogmatic that students first write down the formula, then replace the variables with numbers. They should always do this even when doing homework. Our quiz on Wednesday will cover these two learning targets:
  • LT 1: I can identify the parts of a circle (vocabulary for circle, radius, diameter, chord, tangent, arc, circumference).
  • LT 2: I can find the circumference of a circle or I can use the circumference to find the diameter and radius of a circle.
Science Retake Quiz on Wedneday
For the vocabulary around force and energy, I will offer a retake opportunity in class on Wednesday.

Continuing to Study Friction in Science
In science we are continuing to study friction. I have been very impressed at how many students referred to friction as a force because it seemed to push back against their pushes. That's a good sign, because friction is something we can't really see and is hard to describe unless you are looking at a very exaggerated difference between textured surfaces.

As part of our study into forces, students have been working on these learning targets:
  1. I can identify forces as pushes or pulls.
  2. I can write a conclusion to a question using evidence
  3. I can draw a graph.
Thank you for everything you do to help your child.

Sincerely,

Brian MacNevin

No comments:

Post a Comment